Join us at the Pre-Hackathon Workshop where you can learn about the palm oil ecosystem in Indonesia from the ecosystem stakeholders themselves. Also, learn about the challenges the smallholder farmers face.
In addition, meet and collaborate with like-minded innovators and entrepreneurs to create solutions and make a positive impact to the lives of smallholders during the Hackathon!
Get more details on Grow Asia Hackathon 2018 here!
1. Data sharing: Data sharing - Many companies are addressing the issue of “traceability” - collecting, recording and analysing data on the plantations, farmers, and middlemen.
- How might we design a data application or platform and appropriate business models for the mutual benefit of the ecosystem actors and smallholders?
2. Productivity: Low productivity is a key factor leading to smallholders growing larger areas of under-productive oil palm rather than intensifying production. The single most essential activity to increase smallholder productivity and efficiency is technical training and assistance.
- How might we provide the right information and training to smallholders, improving productivity and aiding in sustainable intensification of plantations?
3. Financing: Smallholders are often too small for commercial banks and too large for micro-finance schemes. They do not have credit history and cannot supply reliable management information to access finance. Their only option is to access informal credit, which comes with high interest terms and short tenure.
- How might we devise a new credit scoring mechanism for financial institutions to extend credit, and allow for incorporation sustainable practices along with this finance?
4. Logistics: Smallholders who do not have their own means of transport rely on local traders or the closest mill and are subject to unforeseen weather conditions.
- How might we improve the timeliness of information and coordination of transportation options, so smallholders can make informed decisions?
- Overview of smallholder challenges in Southeast Asia
- Introduction to Palm Oil Ecosystem
- Hearing from the Farmers
- Overview of Sustainable Practices
- Discussion on Hackathon Challenges
- Introduction to available datasets
- What to expect at the Hackathon
Use your skills to help make a difference to smallholder farmers!
If you are a tech startup that has a product or service that could help address the above challenges and make a difference to smallholder farmers, please write to the organisers at email@example.com.